Introduction

For the last few weeks, I have been hearing the word moist quite a bit.
It is one of those words that can make some cringe, but personally, I think it is funny to say and use on social media. When it directly applies to the weather we have been experiencing in the last few weeks of February and this first week of March, I decided I needed to write about it. Although this time of year is when we seem to get the most rain, it does seem to be unusually moist. Now on to more general weather stuff.

Experience

While I am not an expert and never claim to be when it comes to the weather, I do follow the experts, take what they say with my own interpretation and help friends and family with any warnings or suggestions based on their current location. Of course this is especially useful when the Texas severe weather season gets going. I have been learning from a great co-worker who has been explaining how the jet stream slowly moves to the north this time of year and when it is over north Texas, the severe season is upon us. Luckily for us, it is still south of the DFW metroplex for another few days/weeks. I love to analyze weather patterns, future forecasts, and radars to learn to be more accurate for my friends and family.

Forecasting

I love the predictions game of a weatherman. Think about it, if you are slightly off with your high or low temperature, you are still considered correct because that can be attributed to passing clouds or windy conditions. If you put a percentage of precipitation and nothing happens, you argue that the 10% was for the entire “viewing area”. My biggest frustration with forecasting weather is when the forecasted precipitation will occur overnight and you aren’t sure whether you should put the percentage on the day before or the day after/of the greatest chance. It is very troubling when I look and see a 10% chance then that night 90% because a strong front is going to move through and trigger thunderstorms. I understand why they do this and that is because the precipitation is not happening during the first 18 hours of the day and there has to be some cutoff for defining the “day” precipitation. I always look at both day and night forecasts to inform my schedule for the day to make sure I am somewhere that I can keep an eye on the radar and make sure my phone is charged.